Thursday, May 10, 2007

Don't wind up in the po'house





So this year, I have made a highly political and controversial decision to not buy Mother's day gifts for anyone except MY mother. Seriously folks, this is out of control.

Not only do I have to cram shopping for these moms (my aunts, grandmother, sisters) into one day. I have to spend money I don't have. I am going on vacation in a few weeks, I need all the dough I can save. I also pay for a car, apartment, utilities. I am single. I can't afford it. At this point, I have to make smart decisions about how I should save money.

So a how-to guide on saving money. Pay yourself first!!! Do not get "guilted" into buying gifts for people. What if you never get married? You will never share expenses with anyone else then...and I am sorry! It's not right that I should have to forego saving some money because you are picky about gifts. It's not like I could get away with getting a nice body spray or accessory. My aunts would only probably accept a shirt for a gift, and I don't even want to get into the specifics of how the shirt ought to look.

I am not an asshole. I understand that people have their own tastes. But if I can't get away with getting you a gift card to Barnes & Noble, I really don't want to be bothered. Since when did gift giving allow for the receiver to be so choosy? Well, this will result in me not getting you a gift. And quite frankly, I wouldn't care if I never got another gift from them around Christmas time. I already have $15 withdrawn from my checking weekly just so I can shop with ease around Christmas. Dude, that's $780!!! Why do I need to spend nearly $1000 a year when I am not "gainfully employed"? It's too stressful. I have a pension, but I have no real savings. Oh, and did I mention I will have to start paying student loans soon? I would have to be in the Peace Corps for 8 years to pay them off...but I can't...because I have bills to pay!

So Mom's here it is..."Happy Mother's Day!" That should be enough...


Oh, and here are some "Mommy, mommy" jokes... http://www.lotsofjokes.com/cat_07.htm

No comments: