Friday, January 26, 2007

How to: throw an "adult" birthday party

I've never fully grasped the concept of an "adult" party or a "quiet, nice time" or only "having couple of beers" on my birthday or anyone else's who is close to me. More my speed is waking up the day after my birthday and one of the following occuring:
  1. When did we get home?
  2. [giggle] I slept in my dress... again?!
  3. I think I'm going to be sick...
  4. Happy birthday to me! [burp]
  5. I'm never drinking again
So when it comes to planning an "adult" party, we'll have to walk through these instructions together because I've barely got the concept down myself. First of all, I think adults really like to eat fancy types of food (not pizza and pigs n' a blanket... I know, I'm upset by this too) so a party where food is the center of attention instead of Mad Dog 20/20 Riot Wine, is probably a great way to start.

Secondly, regular "nice" wine rather than Mad Dog 20/20 Riot Wine is a great suggestion as a gift to the host or birthday girl/boy because you can share a glass together and talk about all the different flavors you experience, your feelings, and the notes that hit your tongue.

Third, how about a little game?! Adults like to feel as though they are partying like their younger, more hip counterparts and a great way to get the good times rolling is to pull out Pictionary, Cranium, Outburst or the Karaoke-On-Demand.

Lastly, the party must end at midnight or shortly thereafter. The end result is that there are a bunch of drunk, wino, late 20/early 30-somethings sprawled out at your expensive loft, you've spilled wine on your shower curtain and soul, you feel like you have a hangover, you feel like crying or telling someone you love them, you fight with your S.O., and generally make a more-adult-like fool of yourself.

What have we learned today, folks? Well, I think we can safely say that partying like an adult is pretty much just like partying like a youngster except you are dressed nicer (sometimes), you don't consume as much alcohol (common misconception, you just don't drink as much cheap and gross alcohol), and you go to bed earlier than 4:00 am. Couldn't we all benefit in a shift in behavior?

4 comments:

SGCL said...

Sounds boring.

The Little Cheese said...

Hmmm, these parties seem a bit familiar. I am getting flashbacks of smiling and nodding, trying to stay awake while people bore me stupid with information about their soft furnishings....

Perhaps that is why so many people leave early?!

Anonymous said...

Figuring out how to throw good adult parties is an important issue. And, not an easy one. It seems easy for adults to treat others ideas with a cynical attitude.

Thanks for the mention. You can learn more about the RiotWines on our website, www.riotwine.com. Guaranteed our juice is better than Mad Dog!

Cheers.
RiotWine partner Josh.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project
in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

You have done a outstanding job!

Also visit my web blog: Cheap dental implants